• 15+ years experience managing large-scale consumer Web businesses from conceptualization and assessment, to product innovation, large-scale redesigns and platform overhauls, platform migrations, mobile app development (native & responsive), multi-lingual content production, international engineering team management, and next-stage product growth/roadmap development and execution.
• Proven track record innovating and improving iconic websites (CNET.com, Dice.com, Slashdot.org, Sourceforge.net, eBay); extensive board level and governance experience especially with non-profit volunteer communities, open source developers, and local chapters and projects worldwide.
• VP of Development & GM for CNET Networks, Inc.. Launched and/or ran many of CNET’s flagship online businesses - growing the CNET audience from one domain to a large network of more specific technology verticals. Managed multiple top 10 online media properties, including the flagship, CNET.com.
• Author of over 500 published articles on technology and online media, including technology commentaries for the NY Times, BusinessWeek, and many more.
• Dedicated leader with large network of skilled sr. managers, contractors, and talented potential employees. Strong ties to former employees and exec teams world-wide.
Specialties: Managing large-scale website launches successfully, and keeping complex cross-department project staff on target. I also have extensive global experience running IT & Online operations in over 6 major locations across the world. I travel extensively, and have launched some large-scale projects that were developed in India, Dallas, San Francisco, Chicago, and Seattle at the same time. Extensive P&L responsibility.
• CTO at eBay Classifieds in charge of full stack engineering teams in Australia, Poland, South Africa, Argentina, Ireland, Italy, Mexico, Singapore and a large QA team in Shanghi.
Passionate technology leader with 15 years experience in large scale engineering management, re-designs, migrations, product development, online media, and C2C and B2B digital businesses
2016 - Present
Kelleher International (founded 1986) is the leading matchmaking service for elite professionals in over 20 locations worldwide. Kelleher Digital is a stealth new start-up based in the SF Bay Area working on a next gen service that will bridge the gap between the current self-serve dating apps and the hands-on, high touch world of traditional matchmaking.
The President of Kelleher Digital is responsible for developing the business plan, strategy, key staffing and alliances to leverage the proven Kelleher brand in in new directions online.
As CTO for Kelleher International, responsibilities include: developing world class tools and technology for the existing core matchmaking business, data and analytics enhancements, security, and all site and mobile app development.
2014 - 2016
eBay Classifieds Group is the innovative leader in online classifieds, with 11 brands that span the globe. CTO Incubator Markets role: Managing a global team of geographically dispersed engineers, product managers and QA staff, responsible for attracting and retaining world-class talent by creating an environment that top technologists and product managers find to be innovative and challenging.
• Worked collaboratively with matrixed business, marketing, research and operations teams to present a cohesive product strategy and roadmap, and ensure effective integration of multiple technology environments. Drove the definition of new product initiatives, roadmaps, priorities and schedules, and set key technical strategy for the engineering organization.
• Approved, validated and distributed technical design decisions with input from stakeholders for best solutions for all M&A or joint venture activity.
• Lead the organization in the acquisition, migration and/or development of new systems and software technology & tools. Ensured effective upgrades with no compromise to service, while improving the quality of the user experience.
• Drove the product strategy and planning process across the organization to provide focus and alignment on critical company strategies and developed and executed a set of worldwide integrated technology solutions by country. Worked with engineers, product management, and other units to develop innovative solutions that met customer needs with respect to functionality, performance, scalability, reliability, realistic implementation schedules, and adherence to Agile development methodologies and principles.
• As CTO, played a critical role in assessing external companies and technologies in the market. Managed key partnerships, acquisitions, licensing, and outsourcing strategies that provided eBay competitive differentiation, financial efficiency, and speed to market.
Maker Media is a global platform for connecting makers with each other, with products and services, and with our partners. Through media, events and ecommerce, Maker Media serves a growing community of makers who bring a DIY mindset to technology. The launch of MAKE Magazine in 2005, followed by Maker Faire in 2006, jumpstarted a worldwide Maker Movement, which is transforming innovation, culture and education. Maker Media is the publisher of MAKE Magazine and the producer of Maker Faire.
In this new role, the Managing Director of Maker Media Online will:
--Develop the online strategy, and manage the development and integration with Maker Media's existing business. This includes a new online platform that will integrate content, connect the Maker community, and provide a robust commerce experience.
--Develop the monetization plan and manage and grow the online business - creating new opportunities for sponsorships, custom content development, mobile, video and more where appropriate.
--Foster the maker community online by providing them tools to connect, share ideas and projects, and download and exchange files and plans.
--Integrate the Make: Magazine content and make the material easy to find online.
--Launch innovative new features to broaden reach via mobile, International, video , social, and more. Develop acquisition strategy and longterm strategic roadmap for the online business.
2010 - 2014
Slashdot Media, a Dice Holdings company, includes the legendary tech news site Slashdot.org, Sourceforge.net - the largest online community for open source software development and distribution, and Freecode.com for Linux based software. Traffic averages: 45 million monthly uniques, 150 million pages views, 12K comments a day, and over 2 billion downloads a quarter.
Core responsibilities include:
• Strategic vision and execution, product innovation and development, international and national direct ad sales, indirect ad network monetization, engineering, revenue diversification, business development, custom content production and quality editorial. Full P&L responsibility, and on track to deliver profitability.
• Post-acquisition successfully re-organized the company, built out the Sr. exec team, set strategy, and re-positioned the brand into Slashdot Media. Specializing in custom content, SD Media produces custom content verticals for Intel, Microsoft, and other B2B advertisers, as well as provides one of the most engaged IT communities online. Sourceforge is now a major lead gen platform for customers like IBM, HP, and Samsung, and the largest free community resource and toolset for developing, maintaining and distributing open source software.
• Slashdot Media was also successfully integrated with Dice.com - showcasing tech jobs from Dice, and featuring career advice as well as providing original content to the Dice.com site. Dice now receives regular referral traffic each month from SD Media sites from these integration efforts.
• Slashdot.org successfully rolled out an innovative new mobile app that has grown mobile traffic by over 20X. Sourceforge rolled out a new Enterprise directory of the leading open source apps for the enterprise. The new mobile offerings are based on HTML5 and responsive design for cost-effectiveness and widespread reach..
2010 - 2014
Dice.com, a Dice Holdings company, is the leading career website for technology and engineering professionals, and the companies that seek to employ them.
Responsible for the development and direction of all activities for Dice.com, with particular emphasis on product development and innovation, building and maintaining industry presence, and managing large account sales. Worked with parent company Dice Holdings, Inc. to develop, communicate, and execute a strategy for the company's flagship business, Dice.com and successfully presented it to the board.
-- Redesigned and overhauled Dice.com to favorable reaction from a very vocal community. Launched a new tech blog network to cover topics other than job hunting and grew online content traffic by 80%. Launched the first-ever Dice mobile app and grew traffic from zero to 500K monthly uniques in the first year.
--Founded and launched “Dice Labs” in Tiburon CA, as the first innovation hub for Dice Holdings and held regular summits for all the Dice Holdings-owned companies around product innovation, mobile, and international. Invited in featured speakers, local start-ups and showcased new technology in the recruiting space.
--Developed the strategic product plan for competing in today's job board environment. Interviewed numerous companies and technologies and selected Work Digital as an acquisition target. Worked with the deal team to close the acquisition, and then built prototypes and led a country-wide preview to key customers including Facebook, Adobe, HBO, Robert Half, as well as mid sized and smaller recruiting firms. Successfully integrated the product into the existing Dice architecture and rolled out a beta in 2012.
--Became company spokesperson conducting at least 10-15 interviews a month including all top media outlets (online and print) as well as CNBC and Bloomberg TV. Speaker at numerous conferences on technology innovation, and authored columns on product innovation in the tech recruiting space.
2008 - 2010
Founder of new business advice start-up Bizmore.com. targeting the owners and managers of small to mid-sized companies. Bizmore is a subsidiary of Vistage International, the leading CEO network, and is also owned by Michael Milken, Thomson-Reuters, and Larry Ellison.
Successfully developed and presented the Bizmore product vision, roadmap, and business plan to the Vistage board and raised two rounds of capital.
Opened an office in San Francisco and successfully took the product from concept, prototype and alpha/beta, to a live site in Sep 09. Bizmore has been featured in most of the top business press and is growing.
2001 - 2008
--Headed up the IT and online operations for YPO’s global network of 10,000+ CEO members and staff in over 179 locations in 80 different counties. Member of the YPO International Board’s executive committee in charge of IT, Online, and Communications strategy and implementation worldwide, and head of online product development, marketing and communications, and international IT support services.
--Re-launched YPO’s private website MyYPO.org on Microsoft’s .Net platform. Developed new user interface and rolled out testing and research methodologies to track usability.
--Revamped YPO’s Member Profile and Online Service operations, focusing on response time, member satisfaction ratings, and on gaining efficiencies within the support department.
--Protector of YPO’s 50+ year brand and responsible for maintaining the product integrity and upholding and refining guidelines that YPO members hold sacred.
2000 - 2001
--Responsible for all day-to-day operations including site development, design, UI, and HTML production. Brought site production in-house saving over $150,000 a month, and launched a successful site architecture and interface overhaul that increased sales over 203%.
--Head of Business Development responsible for setting strategic objectives. Launched 5 partner sites (Homestore, iFloor, Lighting Universe, Yahoo Shopping, and MySeasons), a successful affiliate program that brought in over 50% of total monthly revenue, and sold manufacturer-sponsored merchandising aisles.
--Helped raise $24 Million in second-round financing. Traveled extensively with CornerHardwares CEO and COO to talk with industry analysts, venture capital firms, and eventually worked to sell CornerHardware to iFloor.com, Inc. in 2001.
1995 - 2000
--Managed director-level heads of Computers.com, Builder.com, Gamecenter.com, and CNET.com. Set goals, and development objectives for each unit, and set the strategy, concept, design, and focus of the content for each property.
--Headed up the development of new content channels such as Consumer Electronics, Enterprise Computing, MP3 Insider, and more.
--Oversaw CNETs useability and Product Testing Lab. Developed and rolled out the Editors Choice program with a logo still in use today.
--Successfully re-launched CNET.com's UI, removing the left-hand yellow toolbar, added a search engine, and helped develop a new navigational architecture.
-- Revamped CNETs Digital Dispatch newsletter, growing traffic from 1 million subscribers to 3.5 in under a year.
--Launched CNET Gamecnter.com. Gamecenter grew weekend traffic, eventually outranked CNET.com, and drew in women gamers and hardware enthusiasts that were not traditionally part of the gaming demographic..
Bronxville, New York
Bachelor of Arts
Wadham College, Oxford University
Oxford England, Honours program.
I love interesting projects! I've managed teams around the world, from 2 - 500 including product, UI/UX, full stack software deveolopment, and dev ops for many iconic companies.
Proven track record re-designing iconic web proerties from CNET to eBay.
I've maneged large and small engineering teams primarily in the US, but as CTO I also ran operations in Singapore, Austrlia, Italy, Argentina, Mexico, Poland, Shanghai, and South Africa.
Successfully re-branded CNET, Slashdot and Sourceforge (formerly Geeknet) and launched new brands for eBay worldwide.
10+ year track record in UI design, including large scale work in mobile, native advertising integration, and responsive formats.
I have an extensive network of talented graphic designers who can design beautiful prototypes and award-wining looks.
I've helped companies with shopping cart conversion, form design, ad integrations, UI, UX, and mobile. Dedicated member of the Open Source community, as well as GM for the two largest open source download libraries (Sourceforge and Download.com)